[Catalyst] Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows?

John Romkey romkey at romkey.com
Fri Sep 9 02:31:54 GMT 2011

I just did a clean reinstall when I upgraded to Lion... I used MacPorts Per=
l (5.12.3) and loaded Catalyst through CPAN without any major issues that I=
 recall.
	- john romkey
	http://www.romkey.com/

On Sep 8, 2011, at 9:21 PM, John Napiorkowski wrote:

> I'd really love to see some logs of this problem.  I am on MacOSX and don=
't have problems of this magnitude when installing Catalyst.  However I don=
't use the built in system Perl, I use Perlbrew + local::lib + cpanm as my =
primary build toolchain.  If I use a modern Perl (5.12+) the only things th=
at give me trouble is the bit of extra work it takes to install DBD::mysql =
(need to make sure you set the ENV var to point to the mysql_config utility=
 if that is not in $PATH).
> =

> I know Catalyst does have quite a few dependencies, but I round tripped i=
nstalling Catalyst and Task::Catalyst many times as part of the testing I d=
id prior to the latest release, so I know that it can work (abet a bit time=
 consuming to run all the tests for all the dependencies).  If you follow t=
he generally promoted process:
> =

> 1) Setup a local Perl with perlbrew and a modern Perl.
> 2) Create and activate a local::lib where you dependencies will go (in ot=
her words never install stuff into the perlbrew managed Perl)
> 3) use cpanm
> =

> You should have little trouble.  Again, I'd love to see the logs.  I know=
 the temptation to use some sort of port system here is quite high, but my =
experience is that this is not a great path for developers and the port/deb=
/rpm etc. almost always get something wrong that causes you pain in the end.
> =

> Just my experience.  Hope this helps.
> =

> John
> =

alled under Windows? =

> =

> If you are on OS X, you can use MacPorts to install Catalyst. I had tried=
 using CPAN, but got seemingly circular errors as well.
> =

> Tom
> MMI DNA Services Core Facility
> 503-494-2442
> kellert at ohsu.edu
> Office: 6588 RJH (CROET/BasicScience)
> =

> OHSU Shared Resources
> =

> =

> =

> =

> =

> =

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> =

> > Hi,
> > =

> > I have tried to install Catalyst with CPAN, but it gave an error tellin=
g that it has a missing dependency in Plack::Test::ExternalServer.
> > =

> > That module couldn't install because of a test error (something like a =
missing empty port or something like that)
> > =

> > So I force installed Plack::Test::ExternalServer, but after this step, =
when I tried to install again Catalyst, it gave more errors: