[Catalyst] Can the latest Catalyst version from CPAN be installed under Windows?

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 01:40:12 GMT 2011

On 9 September 2011 02:21, John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'd really love to see some logs of this problem.  I am on MacOSX and don=
't
> have problems of this magnitude when installing Catalyst.  However I don't
> use the built in system Perl, I use Perlbrew + local::lib + cpanm as my
> primary build toolchain.  If I use a modern Perl (5.12+) the only things
> that give me trouble is the bit of extra work it takes to install DBD::my=
sql
> (need to make sure you set the ENV var to point to the mysql_config utili=
ty
> if that is not in $PATH).
>
> I know Catalyst does have quite a few dependencies, but I round tripped
> installing Catalyst and Task::Catalyst many times as part of the testing I
> did prior to the latest release, so I know that it can work (abet a bit t=
ime
> consuming to run all the tests for all the dependencies).  If you follow =
the
> generally promoted process:
>
> 1) Setup a local Perl with perlbrew and a modern Perl.
> 2) Create and activate a local::lib where you dependencies will go (in
> other words never install stuff into the perlbrew managed Perl)
> 3) use cpanm
>
> You should have little trouble.  Again, I'd love to see the logs.  I know
> the temptation to use some sort of port system here is quite high, but my
> experience is that this is not a great path for developers and the
> port/deb/rpm etc. almost always get something wrong that causes you pain =
in
> the end.
>
> Just my experience.  Hope this helps.
>
> John
>
> Indeed. I'd like to second this post.
I wrote
http://blogs.perl.org/users/peter_edwards/2011/06/installing-local-perl-and=
-libraries-on-mac-book-snow-leopard.html
and
Brian D. Foy went "but you can compile perl with flags".
Yes, until you try and run a live/staging/test/dev envs for multiple apps
(with different CPAN reqs) on one box, shared with others, and then you
realise it's not flexible enough.

-Peter