[Catalyst] Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial::01_Intro

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:18:21 GMT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Chris Stinemetz
<chrisstinemetz at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Which "network type" or you using for the VM (bridged vs. NAT vs. host
> > only)?
> >

> I have it set up as bridged
>
> > If you type "netstat -tupan | grep 22" in the VM console, do you get
> > anything?  (That should show if there is an SSH daemon on port 22.)
> >

> tcp     0      0 0.0.0.0:22     0.0.0.0:*    LISTEN
> 1153/sshd
>
> tcp6     0      0 :::22     :::*    LISTEN
> 1153/sshd
>

> > Can the server ping the outside world?  For example, if you type "ping
> > www.google.com" on the VM console, does it work?
> >

> No I can't.
> I get ping: unknown host www.google.com
>
> > And you are sure that you are using the IP of the guest VM (get from
> > "ifconfig" on the guest VM console), not the host, right?
> >

> correct.
>
> ifconfig returns
>
> int addr:127.0.0.1

That address should be assigned to the "lo" interface.  Do you see an "eth0"
interface?  If not, we need to figure out why it's missing or not up.  Maybe
ping me on IRC #catalyst if that's an option for you.

The fact that you can't ping www.google.com does make it seem like you might
be having an issue with the network setup... in theory, that should work.

Also, it might be worth disabling any firewall you have on the *host*
machine and rebooting the VM.

Thanks,
Kennedy