[Catalyst] Migrating from Catalyst::Log::Log4perl to Log::Log4perl::Catalyst

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Apr 4 06:15:37 GMT 2012

This may be more of a log4perl question.

I have a custom plugin I've been using for a very long time that used
Catalyst::Log::log4perl.  It added a few "features".

   - added a number of config options to enable logging warns and errors
   via log4perl (trapping __DIE__ and __WARN__).
   - optionally enabling stack traces for messages that match a pattern.
   - provided a config option that listed a filename where to send
   error-level messages (which cron would send out via email every few minu=
tes)
   - allow for "downgrading" messages - i.e. if a message pattern matched
   it might change it from "error" to "warn".  Useful when something trigge=
rs
   a zillion errors or when we really want to see an Apache error about an
   aborted connection every time someone hits escape when loading a page.

How much of this can I do just with configuration and
Log::Log4perl::Catalyst?  I'd prefer to get rid of the plugin.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org