[Catalyst] Its time for Advent again

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 15:01:55 GMT 2012

Octavian=A0(and others)

Here's a quick update.

We created a github repo over here (https://github.com/perl-catalyst/2012-A=
dvent-Staging) so feel free to fork and send PR and I'll find a way to get =
it onto the subversion repo. =A0I updated my previous blog about this (see=
=A0http://jjnapiorkowski.typepad.com/modern-perl/2012/12/update-on-the-stat=
us-of-catalyst-advent-2012-.html)

I've gotten a few commits for this. and will try to crank out one myself to=
night.

If anyone else sent me articles, my apology, I had some things going on las=
t week but am going to get the email cleared up sometime today and I will c=
opy stuff over the the github repo, so you can take a look over there and m=
ake sure I got it right!

John

catalyst at lists.scsys.co.uk> =

>Sent: Saturday, December 1, 2012 2:44 AM
>Subject: Re: [Catalyst] Its time for Advent again
> =

>Hi John,
>
>I have sent you a message with articles attached but I haven't received an=
y message from you, so I don't know if they reached your mailbox.

>It's December 1st, but I can still see "The calendar has been retired." me=
ssage on the page:

>http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar
>
>It's the advent calendar really abandoned?
>
>--Octavian
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "John Napiorkowski" <jjn1056 at yahoo.com>

ad. Lets see if we can do better this go around! In order to assist, here's=
 a few thoughts on simple articles you can do:
>* Take any old article and modernize it...
>* ...or show an alternative approach.
>* Elaborate or improve on an idea you've previously written about in a blo=
g, or that you read about in some else's blog.
>* Cools things you can do now that Catalyst is Plack at the core.
>* Alternatives to using the stash to pass data around.
>* Examples of applications not using Template Toolkit or DBIx::Class
>* Examples of using Catalyst with other frameworks such as Web-Simple and =
Web-Machine
>* Examples of testing, especially anything using Behavior Driven technique=
s (think rspec or cucumber).
>Alternatively we don't need tech oriented articles. I'd be really happy to=
 see some people write something from a business or planning perspective. F=
or example, if you are a CTO or person in planning, something about how you=
 used Catalyst effectively to rapidly meet business goals would be very hel=
pful. Or if someone wanted to look at the results of the recent poll and pe=
rform some interesting analysis, I think the community would love to see th=
at.
>Lets get it rolling!
>
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>
>What I didn't announce via the blog is that if we don't get enough commitm=
ent, it would be better to not do a catalyst only advent article, and just =
combine our submissions over the one of the general Perl Advent calendars.

>Having a poor showing in our advent calendar doesn't send the right messag=
e and it would be better to have a one or two in a popular and full calenda=
r than a bunch of empty dates on ours.