[Catalyst] Best way to install upgrade to FC12 (or how to get by a failing CPAN upgrade)

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 06:47:21 GMT 2012

On 13/02/2012, at 1:32 PM, Evan Carew wrote:

> I have the older Catalyst packages for my stock FC12 laptop installed, and
> I've failed to upgrade them twice already. The question I have is what's
> the best way to get the latest Catalyst installed on my linux box. Do I
> need to clear out perl entirely, and start from scratch, or is there some
> not-so-well-known procedure besides CPAN to upgrade to the latest.

1. Compile your own perl to /usr/local/bin or a relocatable perl

1a If relocatable also install and configure local::lib (mainly because of shebang issues and relocatable perl) (optionally install and configure local::lib anyway).

2. Update your PATH variable if necessary.

3. Install App::Cpanminus.

4.  Leave the system perl alone for system utilities.