[Catalyst] CatalystX::JobServer (anyone use it?)

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Tue Jun 5 10:34:13 GMT 2012

On 4 Jun 2012, at 23:25, Seth Daniel wrote:

> I found CatalystX::JobServer mentioned in a thread from about a year
> ago.
>
> It seems to still only be on github.  Does anyone use this?  Can anyone
> recommend it?
>
> https://github.com/bobtfish/CatalystX-JobServer
>

> I am looking at using RabbitMQ and I already have a catalyst server
> doing some other things.  It seemed like an interesting idea to combine
> them somehow.

Hi Seth :)

I consider CatalystX::JobServer a failed experiment.

I was trying to do too many things (and too many new things!) at once. There is some interesting code there to steal, but whilst it probably 'works', I wouldn't recommend trying using that code in production.

Most of the good parts got ripped off by dakkar++, and combined with the (ideas from the) Catalyst::Engine::STOMP stuff, to make:

https://metacpan.org/release/CatalystX-ComponentsFromConfig
https://metacpan.org/release/Catalyst-ActionRole-JMS
https://metacpan.org/release/CatalystX-ConsumesJMS

which is ActiveMQ specific, but a nice jobs solution.

I pulled my experience from that and other things out into a stab at something more generic:

https://metacpan.org/module/Message::Passing

You can use ZeroMQ, STOMP or AMQP!

However, I haven't yet CPAN'd a Message::Passing specific process manager to manage a worker pool, or blessed a specific way of running workers, or got workers which can consume messages from multiple possible work pools etc..

What you're looking for is easily possible to do with the framework, I just haven't yet got anything reusable enough to share generally yet…

I'm hoping to expand the docs a lot in the next couple of weeks, and I'm talking about it at YAPC::NA, but feel free to drop into #message-passing to pick my brains and/or tell me how my documentation sucks!!

Cheers
t0m