[Catalyst] using perldoc on VM

Lukas Thiemeier spamcatcher at thiemeier.net
Mon Jun 11 14:05:40 GMT 2012

On 06/11/2012 03:38 PM, John Deighan wrote:
> I'm using the Catalyst VM that accompanies the catalyst tutorial. I'm
> currently unable to use perldoc:
>
> catalyst at catalyst:~/MyApp$ perldoc Session::Store
> You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to install perl-doc on the VM so I can
> view Perl documentation there?

> Searchable archive:

Hi,

This highly depends on your distribution, and is totaly unrelated to
catalyst.

On debian based systems, "perldoc" is included in the package
"perl-doc", so you can install it by runnig "apt-get install perl-doc"
as root.

Since the output on your console says "You need to install the perl-doc
package...", a reasonable first step would be to follow these
instructions and install the perl-doc package!

On redhat based systems, perldoc should be included in in the main perl
package, but it has been a while since I was working on redhat, so i am
not sure if this is right.

If you build your own perl, e.g with "perlbrew" (which I recommend)
perldoc should be included.

Cheers, Lukas