[Catalyst] using perldoc on VM

Lyle webmaster at cosmicperl.com
Mon Jun 11 14:33:12 GMT 2012

On 11/06/2012 15:05, Lukas Thiemeier wrote:
> On 06/11/2012 03:38 PM, John Deighan wrote:
>> I'm using the Catalyst VM that accompanies the catalyst tutorial. I'm
>> currently unable to use perldoc:
>>
>> catalyst at catalyst:~/MyApp$ perldoc Session::Store
> This highly depends on your distribution, and is totaly unrelated to
> catalyst.

Not so. As specified he is using the tutorial VM provided by shadow cat
and recommended in the Catalyst tutorial:
http://cattut.shadowcat.co.uk/
They have failed to include perldoc in their VM image which is rather
embarrassing. I suspect it's a debian image, but it doesn't actually
specify on the download page, and I don't have time or inclination to
download it just to find that out.

> On debian based systems, "perldoc" is included in the package
> "perl-doc", so you can install it by runnig "apt-get install perl-doc"
> as root.
>
> Since the output on your console says "You need to install the perl-doc
> package...", a reasonable first step would be to follow these
> instructions and install the perl-doc package!

It's a reasonable assumption to expect perldoc be included with the
Catalyst VM.

> On redhat based systems, perldoc should be included in in the main perl
> package, but it has been a while since I was working on redhat, so i am
> not sure if this is right.
>
> If you build your own perl, e.g with "perlbrew" (which I recommend)
> perldoc should be included.

As he stated in the original post, he's using the Catalyst tutorial VM.

Lyle