[Catalyst] Re: using perldoc on VM

Len Jaffe lenjaffe at jaffesystems.com
Mon Jun 11 21:33:42 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Adam Sj=F8gren <asjo at koldfront.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:30:04 -0400, John wrote:
> > Can anyone point me to what I have to change to get perldoc working?
>
> Does it help to run "sudo apt-get update" before the above mentioned
> aptitude command?

Just so we're all clear, the 'apt-get update' command updated the package
indexes from the various package repositories that are listed in your apt
configuration file.

So periodically you need to update, so you'll know what's available for
upgrade and installation.

While Ubuntu will run the update periodically on it's own, and inform you
when there are updates available, this helps neither when you've just added
some repositories to your list, nor when you with to install something new.
So you manuall run the update.

So:
1) add repositories
   - could be optional, I didn't pay close enough attention :-)
2) sudo apt-get update
   - to refresh your machine's indexes (indicies?).
3) sudo apt-get install perl-doc
  - for fun and profit

Len.

-- =