[Catalyst] Multiple actions matching a request - what happens?

Gianni Ceccarelli dakkar at thenautilus.net
Thu Mar 1 14:38:23 GMT 2012

Imagine you have a set of actions that match the same request. Maybe
they have the same :Path, or maybe you're using
Catalyst::ActionRole::MatchRequestMethod or something similar, and you
do:

  sub post_foo :Path('foo') Method('POST') { }
  sub other_foo :Path('foo') { }

intending for the 'other_foo' action to be invoked when the method is
not POST.

This will sometimes work and sometimes not. I have dug a bit in the
source, and it looks like this:

- Catalyst::Controller::register_actions calls
  Catalyst::Controller::get_action_methods

  - which gets the methods from
    MooseX::MethodAttributes::Role::Meta::Class::get_nearest_methods_with_attributes

  - which sorts the method it returns in the order they were declared

- register_actions will call register_action_methods which will call
  Catalyst::Dispatcher::register for each method in the order they
  were received

- the Dispatcher will register the action with every DispatchType that
  wants it

- Catalyst::DispatchType::Path sorts actions by
  Catalyst::Action::compare, that is, by Args count

- which essentially means that if you have two Path actions for the
  same Path, and both match, which one gets called is
  implementation-dependent (at the moment, it looks like the last one
  declared will win)

Now, this may or may not be a problem. I have a work-around: rework
the controller to have the actions be :Path(''), then use a :Default
action to catch "everything else".

On the other hand, maybe I'm not the only one doing such crazy things
with the dispatcher, and maybe we could add a :Priority($number)
attribute to actions, and have the Catalyst::Action::compare method
use it to break ties.

Did I make any sense?

--
	Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>
	GPG public key fingerprint = A071 E618 DD2C 5901 9574

Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to
limit. Do not ask Why?  Be cautious with How?  Why? leads inexorably to
paradox. How? traps you in a universe of cause and effect.  Both deny
the infinite.

  -- The Apocrypha of Arrakis