[Catalyst] upstart script for Starman-based app?

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Fri May 4 15:43:55 GMT 2012

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> expect fork

I'm not sure why you need this. There's no fork happening with your
config, AFAICT.

> exec /home/teddy/perl5/lib1/bin/starman --listen :5000 --workers 5 --max-requests 1000 --preload-app --pid /srv/log/site.pid --access-log /srv/log/access.log --error-log /srv/log/error.log --user teddy --group teddy --daemonize /srv/BRK/brk.psgi
>

> I've also tried to exec a bash script that contains the same command above (without "exec") using:
> exec /srv/BRK/start1.sh
> But I don't know why it doesn't start the app this way.
> If I exec the full command in the upstart script it works fine though.

No idea.

To be honest, I kind of hate upstart. It's really freaking inscrutable and
the docs suck. I've gotten some info out of it by putting it into debug
mode and watching /var/log/daemon.log

I really wish Ubuntu would just kill upstart and switch to systemd.

> I've seen that the app starts fine if I don't use the expect stanza, but in that case I can't close it using the stop command.
> But I can start and stop it fine if I use either "expect fork" or "expect daemon".

Weird. I don't need this at all for my system.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)