[Catalyst] upstart script for Starman-based app?

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Mon May 7 05:17:49 GMT 2012

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

>>> expect fork
>>
>> I'm not sure why you need this. There's no fork happening with your config,
>> AFAICT.
>
> But isn't Starman doing a fork?

Yes, but the "expect fork" is telling upstart to expect the process to
fork once and create a single child, letting the parene exit. Upstart will
track the pid of the child and kill that when you stop the process.

With Starman, the parent stays active, and it's what should be killed when
you want to stop the process.

>> To be honest, I kind of hate upstart. It's really freaking inscrutable and
>> the docs suck. I've gotten some info out of it by putting it into debug
>> mode and watching /var/log/daemon.log
>>
>> I really wish Ubuntu would just kill upstart and switch to systemd.
>
> I have never used nor seen a systemd script although I heard about it.
> I was able to compare just the huge and complicated systemv init scripts and
> upstart, and upstart is better (if it works:)
>
> Isn't OK to install systemd using apt-get?
>
> I've found that there is a systemd package available for Ubuntu:
> p   live-config-systemd                                       - Debian Live -
> System Configuration Scripts (systemd backend)

That won't magically make all the other packages use systemd instead of
upstart, and I don't think trying to run two init daemons is a great idea
;)

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)