[Catalyst] upstart script for Starman-based app?

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Mon May 7 16:22:50 GMT 2012

On Mon, 7 May 2012, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

>> With Starman, the parent stays active, and it's what should be killed when
>> you want to stop the process.
>
> I see that this is not happening, at least if starman receives the --user and --group parameters.
>
> I have use --user teddy --group teddy in the upstart config, and even though I execute "start prg" and "stop prg" from the root account, all the starman processes are owned by teddy account. And there are 11 processes, even though I asked starman to run 10 children, so the master process is also owned by teddy account.

Hmm, weird. Maybe I'm wrong, in which case I have no idea how my config
file works without "expect fork".

> I've seen that not all the processes started automaticly use upstart under Ubuntu.
> For example, I can manage apache2 process using
> service apache2 status
> but not
> status apache
>
> because apache2 uses a SystemV script.
>
> I read somewhere that upstart can work somehow with upstart scripts, but
> that the old SysV init scripts are also executed... but I don't know if
> it can also work in the same way with SysD scripts...

Ubuntu is in the process of moving things from SysV to Upstart. In 10.04,
very few daemons use upstart. I expect that's changed in 12.04.

Regardless, using systemd doesn't seem feasible.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)