[Catalyst] Deploying with Perlbrew

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue May 15 13:05:37 GMT 2012

Is anyone creating an RPM out of their Perlbrew install?   I'm looking for
pointers and examples.

At work we currently build separate RPMs for all our in-house dependencies
and the catalyst apps (as well as for any CPAN distributions that existing
RPMs don't exist or are ouf date).  It's a pretty time-consuming
and tedious process -- or at least has turned out that way in practice.

In contrast, (assuming we have our in-house distributions in a
private/local CPAN), it's pretty painless to install Perl with Perlbrew and
use "cpan" to install the app and all dependences and run the app from this
local installation.

My question is about bundling up this as one big fat (1/2GB) RPM.   Anyone
doing this, and if so, can you share the spec file you use?

The other issues I'd like to ask about are pushing out crontabs at the
right time (with the app because the cron might depend on the app's
version), and the startup script, although upstart was discussed recently
in another thread.

Thanks,

-- =

Bill Moseley