[Catalyst] Deploying with Perlbrew

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue May 15 13:57:21 GMT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Tobias Kremer <tobias.kremer at gmail.com>wro=
te:

> We played around with building .debs for all dependencies (mainly
> because our ISP understandably likes packages), but it's a total PITA
> IMHO. So we went the local::lib route and never looked back. That way
> we can distribute and deploy all dependencies with our app. It also
> makes setting up a development environment totally easy, because you
> just install local::lib, clone the app git repository (which includes
> all dependencies) and are pretty much ready to go (assuming that your
> dev environment is compatible with your production environment which
> is part of the reason we develop with VMs).

Our situation is worse than I wrote about, because it was decided by some
that development should look like production to avoid surprises at release
time.  I'm not sure how that's ever possible, but I digress. So, even the
dev boxes use RPMs for modules.  Talk about a PITA -- especially on a
machine used by multiple developers.

I'm trying to get all our in-house code into a local CPAN and have each
developer use local::lib or even Perlbrew (as it isn't really any more
difficult than local::lib).   I want to avoid a shared local::lib because
that locks development and production to the same platform, which isn't
necessary.   All I care about is a good test suite and that it passes.

For a release (from development) my plan is to have a developer (because
they know the code) build a fresh Perl with Perlbrew and do essentially a
bare-metal install and run all tests on the target platform and finally run
make install of the app.  Exactly as they would do in their own dev
environment.   Then the operations team can package however they want (RPM,
tarball, rsync) and place on the QA machines for testing and then later to
production.  I'm looking for a clean decoupling of development from
operations.

So assuming RPM, now trying to figure the best way to build that Perlbrew
install into and RPM.

Thanks,

-- =

Bill Moseley