[Catalyst] Catalyst and Java

Ashley Pond V apv at sedition.com
Wed Oct 31 17:22:36 GMT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Devin Austin <devin.austin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 3:50 AM, Tim Anderson <tja824 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a handful of java servlets that I would like to 'front-end' with my
>> Catalyst application, essentially using Catalyst to provide
>> authentication/authorization before passing along the browser requests to
>> the servlet.

>> Does anyone have experience with doing something like this?  I'd appreciate
>> any insight or direction.
>
> This would be fairly do-able if you used REST for inter-app
> communication.  Or something like Message::Passing, which allows you
> to send a "message" to a queue, which could be subscribed to from both
> ends, thus allowing the apps to talk to each other.
>
> If the Catalyst app is acting as a proxy to the servlets, I would
> think you could do a pretty regular
> authentication/authorization/session set up with it and just pass
> along whatever other info you need to the servlets via the
> aforementioned means.

Another approach worth considering is to wrap the servlets up in a
model. This often takes a bit longer and more thinking in the set-up
phase but will give you code that is easier to reuse in other places.
I've done this kind of problem both ways and either is fine but I'd
lean to the model. You would end up with something you could run with
Catalyst/Flea/Mojolicious/in-line-plack-with-auth-middleware/command-line/whatever.