[Catalyst] View Helpers?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Fri Feb 15 00:08:59 GMT 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:10:44PM -0600, Kevin Monceaux wrote:

> It looks like someone already wrote a Rails like LinkTo plugin:
>
>     http://search.cpan.org/~hirafoo/Template-Plugin-LinkTo-0.093
>
> For my personal projects I'd probably create something similar that takes
> parameters similar to uri_for_action, something like:
>
>     [% LinkTo('Recipes', 'recipe/list') %]

After a little tinkering, and reading old posts on template plugins, maybe a
template plugin is the wrong approach.  For the above to work it would need
access to Catalyst uri functions.  In one old post, T0m says:

    You don't want to do this.

    TT plugins should be for trivial formatting stuff only, teaching them
    about your application context is massively breaking abstraction.

So, would the LinkTo function I described be better implemented as:

    [% c.LinkTo('Recipes', 'recipe/list') %]

If so, how does one make a function available in views via the CATALYST_VAR,
and where is the best place for such a function's code in a Catalyst
project?

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.