[Catalyst] New design

David Dorward david at dorward.me.uk
Tue Jul 23 23:30:50 GMT 2013

On 23 Jul 2013, at 9:48, Mark Keating wrote:

> The nice chaps at Evozon have recently been making design mocks for a
> bunch of Perl sites and they have come up with a fresh look for
> Catalyst. Take a look and let me know what you guys think.

It's very pretty, I *love* the look of many of the graphics, and there
are some nice ideas in there.

However, it is a very wide design which is going to lead to horizontal
scrolling (the red section could do with having 2 rows of 3 things
instead of 1 of 5, the space between the text and the book graphic could
be reduced, the two guides to getting a decent Perl environment could do
with being shunted off to their own page with a choice of links instead
of a choice of columns) with some very tiny fonts (really tiny, the font
size could do with being a lot bigger).

I like the space theme, although as other people have commented it isn't
Catalyst's traditional theme. I'd carry the dotted graphic theme through
to the red section though (possibly with the telescope being done in
that style).

The Dancing astronauts are cute but more suggestive of Dancer than
Catalyst!

Then we come to Man With A Brick. Putting the first brick in place is a
good image for getting started … but completely breaks from the space
theme from elsewhere in the page. It's also the first section that uses
translucent backgrounds and it really feels like part of a different
site.

The list of clients is nice, very clear and good at highlighting some
high profile users of Catalyst. It suffers from too-many-columns but
that is easily fixed.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.co.uk/