[Catalyst] List of Applications using Catalyst

Denny 2013 at denny.me
Sat Jun 8 18:33:48 GMT 2013

On Sat, 2013-06-08 at 10:00 -0700, Richard Bychowski wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2013, at 3:02 AM, Denny wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 16:16 -0700, bill hauck wrote:
> >> Does anyone know of a list of applications that are using Catalyst?
> >
> > http://wiki.catalystframework.org/wiki/catalystpoweredsoftware
>
> That's 18 links. Eight are dead links.

I didn't say it was a _good_ list.  :-p

> It strikes me that perl or perhaps specifically Catalyst developers
> are building and releasing tools over "applications".

I think people are building plenty of applications inside commercial
environments, but not many that are publicly released.  People seem to
use Catalyst to solve big and quite company-specific problems, rather
than medium-sized generic problems.

> IMHO, the Catalyst community really needs more open source applications
> to generate outside interest.  Am I alone in thinking this? I've been
> eagerly watching the ShinyCMS project.

Thanks  :)  Feel free to join in!

> I suspect more developers will contribute once the project is closer
> to a 1.0 release?

That would be nice.  I'm not sure that Perl developers are particularly
scared of 0.x releases though... I feel it's more a lack of interest in
solving those medium-sized generic problems.

I have a designer pledged to build me a set of front-end templates for
the demo site, which I think is one thing that's essential before I
bundle up a 0.9 pre-release for people to look at.  The other thing I
wanted to do was finish the shop order processing stuff, but the client
paying some of the development costs for that has pulled out, which has
slowed things down considerably.

Once I get those two things done, I'll beg and possibly even bribe a few
people to look over the code and docs and maybe do some QA, and then
hopefully it  will be ready for a shiny 1.0 version number.  :)

Regards,
Denny