[Catalyst] Backlog for proposed changes in next Catalyst release

"Luis E. Muñoz" luisemunoz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 16:38:53 GMT 2013

On Mar 4, 2013, at 11:12 AM, John Napiorkowski wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I'd be open to it, if it seems like we always just need to add this.  I'm not enough an expert of unicode to understand the drawbacks, or why this was done as a plugin in the first place.  Is there a drawback, for example to having it core?
>
> I can see at the beginning having stuff like this as stand alone dists, since it lets you be more agile in fixing issues with it, and all that but if this is stable then I can see just making it core.

Correctly understanding and handling character encodings can be tricky. It's quite common to encounter applications that behave erratically when fed non-ASCII input (with a last name that contains such characters, I would know).

That say, I cannot see how including that functionality in the core would be a bad thing.

Best regards

-lem