[Catalyst] Using the Catalyst Makefile to install

Francisco Obispo fobispo at isc.org
Fri Mar 8 04:57:49 GMT 2013

They are installed by default under the lib/ directory, I'm not a big fan of that setup, so what we usually do (in debian), we setup a custom package that does the magic that we need, including the nginx setup, etc.

Module::Install lets you do some limited configuration, but if you're looking to customize it, you're better off with a custom distribution package.

Module::Install also gives you the ability to generate a PAR (Perl Archive), and a tar distribution (make tardist).

On FreeBSD for example I usually install my catalyst apps as:

perl Makefile.PL INSTALL_BASE=/path/to/myapp

that way I have everything enclosed in one location (FreeBSD package manager is a nightmare)

:-)