[Catalyst] Using the Catalyst Makefile to install

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Mar 8 08:24:35 GMT 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Francisco Obispo <fobispo at isc.org> wrote:

> Module::Install lets you do some limited configuration, but if you're
> looking to customize it, you're better off with a custom distribution
> package.

A bit off the topic, but I've been using Dist::Zilla to help package
Catalyst apps.   My favorite features are auto versioning, managing the
Changes file, and automatic dependency creation.  And, of course, having a
custom PluginBundle that centralizes how we build distributions.   Perhaps
not for everyone, but worth a look.  Check out the Dist::Zilla::Plugins on
CPAN.

But the end result is still just a normal Perl module.   All our modules
(Catalyst and others) use Dist::Zilla now.

I have a Dist::Zilla::Plugin::CatalystFiles that helps build the dist and
builds a custom Makefile.PL.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org