[Catalyst] Working a Solr Model -- Follow Up

John Karr brainbuz at brainbuz.org
Sun Oct 6 07:27:49 GMT 2013

After trying to work with Apache::Solr and running into a brick wall
there, I went back to WebService::Solr and reread the documentation and
looked at the source code and decided to give it another try and start
over.

This time it worked, and I was able to return a
WebServer::Solr::Response object and pass it to the view. Comparing my
failed experiment with the working one I figured out what caused the
Unicode errors. I was even able to propose a patch to implement a minor
feature request that was sitting in the rt.cpan queue.

Summary of the 3 modules I looked at for implementing a Solr Model.

Rejected: Apache::Solr
Returned a resultset that didn't work in Template::Toolkit, had write
ugly code to convert to array of hashrefs.
I could not figure out how to use a filter query (they are absolutely
required for how I intend to use Solr).

Rejected: SolrBeam
Must download from GitHub instead of CPAN.
Despite the oddness of feeling like I was reading Ruby I was able to do
some debugging in the module, but still didn't get it to work.

Selected: WebService::Solr
You must read all of the submodule documentation, everything I needed to
figure out was somewhere in the documentation, but often not in the main
module's documentation.
Has its' own Model Adaptor, but it also works if you just extend
Catalyst::Model.
The code itself was comprehensible and I was able to logically trace a
request through it, and also to submit a very minor feature patch.
Implements the features I've tried to use so far.

I plan to write a how-to, which I'll post on my blog, if there is going
to be an Advent Calendar this year, let me know who is collecting
submissions for it and I'll submit the article in POD.