[Catalyst] Random thoughts on helper class generation

Craig Chant craig at homeloanpartnership.com
Thu Jan 30 12:32:13 GMT 2014

I second Octavian's comments.

Though I still chose Catalyst over the other Perl frameworks, when you spend copious amounts of time reading docs and learning how to use the Catalyst framework, to then be questioned why you are doing something the way you are in the IIRC because it's wrong or at least outdated and not the best method, when all you are doing is following what the documentation tells you to do, is rather frustrating to say the least, and a waste of everyone's time... which then makes you wonder, how good other framework's documentation is and if that would be easier , simpler and more up-to-date.

It's not just the documentation / tutorials and how-to's either, it's even the error messages.

>> Too bad that those people don't have the necessary time for that.

That doesn't cover the cryptic, poorly written error / warning messages!

There are clearly ridiculously clever people working on this project, but I feel sometimes they need to step back for a second and think... how could I explain this to a total idiot, verbose and verbatim.... documentation, error messages, tutorial and alike, are not the place for fiendishly clever one liners!

Catalyst has a big advantage over the other frameworks other than just being an awesome piece of software and that's the community; it's friendly , accessible and a pleasure to be involved in, it's littered with seriously talented individuals at the top of their game, working in huge corporations with a vast wealth of experience and technical know-how, but the documentation lets this down and it shouldn't.

Unless of course the goal of Catalyst isn't to make it accessible to the greenest of users regardless of their technical ability?