[Catalyst] Advent Calendar... Grant proposal...

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 20:57:36 GMT 2015

From: <rick at hiranyaloka.com>

> Octavian said:
>> Imho a beginner should not start by creating "best practice" apps, but
>> apps
>> which help him/her to understand each step as easy as possible. She or he
>> just need to know that there are better ways that will be learned later.
>>

> Your 2012 Catalyst Advent Calendar articles "Catalyst in 9 Steps" embodied
> that principle nicely. I'd like to see those articles extended further,
> and have them linked in the official documentation.

Yes, my intention was to show a few really simple ways of using Catalyst
without an ORM or other CPAN modules as first steps of learning Catalyst by
a beginner, even most of those steps are not intended to be used in
production.
It would have been very good to have the time to continue the serial and
show more and more advanced steps by adding one by one more CPAN modules or
Catalyst components, show different URL dispatching types from the most
simple to the most complex, show how to use REST etc.

> Why not set a documentation goal that would allow a perl newbie with Perl
> Beginner/(Intermediate) under his/her belt, be able to start hacking on a
> Catalyst app, with relevant documentation to take them all the way to a
> production ready, best practice site?

The people who know Catalyst the best are very occupied so they probably
don't have the time to also maintain the documentation very well.
Catalyst is mainly used for serious projects and they are probably thinking
that the main target audience are the advanced developers, so a
documentation/book for beginners probably was not considered a priority.

--Octavian