[Catalyst] From Development to Production.

Andrew catalystgroup at unitedgames.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 16:11:11 GMT 2016

  I'd suggest these files are the Model part of MVC and you should have a Class that you use to interact with files. This Class is independent of you Catalyst App and should be able to run in it's own right. Page 135 of the book discussing Database model because that's the common model but there are model class for working with files[1]. There are several references in the book to testing. Testing, along with software versioning are part of the tool-set you'll want to become familiar with if your going to be writing software. You could take a look at the advent calendar articles [2], they are not that up-to-date but useful none the less I'd say.

  ---> I have actually found a lot of the advent calendar articles really useful. I was shocked there weren't any for 2015 though, =P. Did we forget to do it last year / weren't there any volunteers?

  Using a database would adios your permissions problems too. If you just want to sort out permissions problems, you could have the files/directories owned by the same user that runs you web server or do something fancy with suexec.

  ---> UPDATE: Oh...do you mean the root user?
  ---> BEFORE-UPDATE: The trouble I experienced with having it owned by the user associated with the web domain was that there were two users needing to access it.
  However, what I've done for a quick fix until I can figure out a better solution, is thrown...
  umask 0000;
  ...into the appname.pm file, and now when I create directories with 0777 permissions, as in a line like:
  mkdir $my_data_folder_path."new_directory_we_are_making/", 0777;
  ...they're accessible to both users,
  and to enable file reading and writing, I'm just using Path::Tiny's slurp and spew - spew solving the access/permission problem, where append would not.
  So now I've got a quick fix allowing me to get cracking with my work,
  and then I'll read and research on the side how to improve it / what the better ways of doing it are.

  I want to caution you, in the nicest possible way. Writing software requires a number of skills and a lot of research and learning. You can't avoid the latter. What may seem like a lot of unnecessary aggravation (testing and version control) have come about because it's no fun fixing problems after the event.

  ---> Yes, I apologise some of the way I wrote came across as impatient, =). I'm excited to learn, and to reap the long term benefits, =).

  You could also look at Dancer2 [3] as that be good fit too.

  ---> Thanks for the tip!

  Good luck,
  Dermot.

  ---> Many thanks for the page numbers I can flick to, and the links I can visit, =). Grateful!

  1) https://metacpan.org/pod/Catalyst::Model::File
  2) http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/
  3) https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/Dancer2/script/dancer2