[Catalyst] Nginx FastCGI Timeout (even after increasing Nginx timeouts)

Robert Brown rob at intelcompute.com
Wed Dec 5 12:46:40 GMT 2018

Hi,

I feel like I've exhausted Google/IRC/StackOverflow in trying to figure
this issue out.

I have a Catalyst app, using FastCGI, behind Nginx, on CentOS.

I've created a dummy request that sleeps for 2 minutes.

With a default installation, Nginx responds after 60s with a 504
timeout, and an entry in the error log.  All as expected.

However, increasing both *fastcgi_send_timeout* and
*fastcgi_read_timeout* to 10 minutes, still results in a 504, *but a
slightly different version*.

Nothing goes in the Nginx error log.

See http://web.lavoco.com/504-fastcgi-timeouts.png

It would appear something other than Nginx is timing out, yet there are
no timeout values to configure with all of the Perl modules used for
FastCGI (that I can see).

Hopefully someone has come across this before, or can help point me in
the right direction to debug this further.

Thanks,

Rob