[CiderWebmail] How to configure session store (or ciderwebmail in general)

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Thu Sep 5 18:39:32 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 04 September 2013 15:58:06 Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> > It would seem like CiderWebmail cannot find your config file. I tried it
> > locally and get the correct error message:
> > DBI connect('/var/lib/ciderwebmail/user_settings.sql','',...) failed:
> > unable to open database file
>
> So how do I tell it which config file to use?

Ok, I installed a chroot environment and did a make install of CiderWebmail
there. Then I used strace -estat to see where it looks for configuration
files.
It looks like it's looking for files in
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2/CiderWebmail/
on my installation, e.g.
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2/CiderWebmail/ciderwebmail.conf

According to
https://metacpan.org/module/Catalyst::Plugin::ConfigLoader#get_config_path
one can specify an alternative configuration directory using the environment
variable CIDERWEBMAIL_CONFIG

And indeed, running
CIDERWEBMAIL_CONFIG=/etc/ciderwebmail/ciderwebmail strace -estat
ciderwebmail_server.pl 2>&1 | grep ciderwebmail
gives me something useful:
stat("/etc/ciderwebmail/ciderwebmail.conf", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644,
st_size=315, ...}) = 0

So the short answer is. Add
export CIDERWEBMAIL_CONFIG=/etc/ciderwebmail/ciderwebmail
to your startup script.

Stefan