[DBD-SQLite] Weird UTF-8 problem

Jonathan Yu jonathan.i.yu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 13:05:16 GMT 2009

Hi:

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:39 AM, Michael Lackhoff <michael at lackhoff.de> wrote:
> I encountered something that looks very odd to me with 1.25.
> What makes it so weird is that I cannot reproduce it in a simple test
> script but in my application with all sorts of other components
> (mod_perl, CGI::Application, Template::Toolkit) database values somehow
> "forget" their UTF-8 flag.
> I set $dbh->{unicode} = 1 then I get some data from the DB then do this
> test:
> Encode::is_utf8($data)
> As I said, when I print the result of the test from my test script it
> gives "1", when I log it from my application I get "0".
>
> Of course the first suspects in such a situation are all the other
> components I am using but then I compiled the latest development version
> (1.26_06) and with this version it works (the UTF-8 flag is not lost in
> the application).
>
> I have two questions from this:
> - any idea what I could do to not loose the UTF-8 flag with 1.25? I
> would rather prefer not to require bleeding edge in my application.
Have you consulted the changelog for DBD::SQLite and for upstream
sqlite versions? If this was a fix, take a diff between the two and
try to create a patch for it yourself.
> - is there a chance to make a new stable version? Then at least it is
> easier to meet the requirement.
I think that version 1.26 is under some testing before they want to
cut a real "stable" release. This testing is necessary to make sure
mass breakages don't happen as a result of the upload. Various people
need to make sure it doesn't break other things like DBIx::Class, etc.