[DBD-SQLite] SQLite 3.7.x problem fixed, please dev-release

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Thu Aug 26 02:35:26 GMT 2010

Toby Corkindale wrote:
> On 26/08/10 05:38, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> Under the circumstances, I recommend releasing what we have now as
>> version 1.31 production within a week if there are no showstopper
>> problems discovered with 1.30_04 in the meantime.
>
> It sounds like there are some quite major changes in this version of
> SQLite, and thus also DBD::SQLite.
>
> As with other major releases, I'm interested in testing the dev release
> against our code which does tend to stress SQLite - however this isn't
> something I can fit in in the time frame you're discussing ("within a
> week").
>
> I am sure I'm not the only person in this situation.
>
> Do you really need to release a so-called "stable" version so rapidly?
> If what you have now is a release candidate, then would you mind leaving
> it for a bit longer while people have a chance to shake it out?
>
> DBD::SQLite is a major piece of many applications. Please be careful
> what you nominate as "stable".
>
> Thanks for your efforts in keeping it up to date and incorporating
> upstream improvements - it's really appreciated.

Keep in mind, first of all, that most bugs of any consequence would be in SQLite
itself.  SQLite itself has already had 3 patch releases since 3.7.0 which
introduced the major changes, and 3.7.0 came out a full month ago.  Meanwhile
3.7.0.1 came which fixed a few bugs, then 3.7.1 with a greater number of
changes, and then 3.7.2 which just fixed a bug.  So the codebase with the most
serious likelihood of issues has already had a month of shake-out, and moreover
the SQLite itself has 100% test coverage.

Granted, DBD::SQLite has relatively little test coverage, and mostly piggybacks
on assuming SQLite itself or Perl itself is fine.

That all being said, how much time do you need to do your stress test?  Two weeks?

-- Darren Duncan