[DBIx-Class-Devel] Extensively customised test-matrix active on master, smoke/* and topic/* branches

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Sat Dec 1 08:52:31 GMT 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:27:38PM -0500, Brendan Byrd wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us> wrote:
> > Please do not disable/skip failing tests before discussing it with the
> > cabal. While it seems like common sense, last time travis was instituted
> > a lot of weird stuff got committed just to get a green.
>
> That was mostly around a Firebird test going FUBAR on 5.10.
> Eventually, DBD::Firebird just plain failed to install, so that whole
> incident seemed like an outside problem.

Heh. Well, let's see where I get with it.

> Anyway, good work; looks like a lot of work went into this.  Glad to
> know that more than just Frew and I are excited about doing stuff with
> Travis.

It was mostly the excitement to work around its limitations ;)

> > $CPAN::Config->{urllist} = [ "http://cpan.cpantesters.org/" ];
>
> Why this line?  Travis specifically built a CPAN mirror to cut down on
> bandwidth usage.

This isn't actually used as such. It is there so that an older CPAN
gets configured (without upgrading CPAN.pm). If I do not do this
the result is: https://travis-ci.org/dbsrgits/dbix-class/jobs/3420612
Also I do not want to hardcode their URLs in case they change. I
*could* fish them out of the CPANM envvar, but I CBA - feel free to
augment it to do just that. In fact it would help a lot to teach
perlbrew about the local mirror - the 4 different perl tarballs it
gets aren't small.

> > # feed to wget this location: http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/GETTY/DBIx-Class-0.08204/inc/
>
> ???  Don't you already have inc/ from the git clone?  Why wget?

No, inc/ is not versioned (and must never be). The usual way for devs is
to install Module::Install on the ir system locally, which then will
provide an inc::Module::Install in the standard libdir. However M::I is
fat dep-wise, so I want as frew noticed to have CLEANTEST run with as
little optional deps as possible. Hence in order to simulate what a
fresh perl installation will look like I need an inc/ from a tarball
that a clean-room user would have used.