[DBIx-Class-Devel] Comments on the dq branch test suite changes

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Thu Dec 6 13:31:35 GMT 2012

(cc-ing the dev-list as well)

I am not yet through the tests you asked me to write, but there are
several things I noticed when examining the suite changes:
`git fetch && git diff origin/master...origin/dq --color t`

* t/sqlmaker/limit_dialects/custom.t seems to be gone entirely. If you
are not planning to implement it, we need to have several releases of
DBIC with the existing code throwing "imminent deprecation" warnings.
Please let me know your intention so we can implement these warnings
asap

* The current code has forever been inferring the 'AS' part from the
dbic-side 'as' specification. You made a number of test changes where a
columns => { foo => 'bar.baz' } no longer works, but must be replaced
with columns => { foo => { '' => 'bar.baz', -as => 'foo' } }. This is an
incompatible change and will cause a lot of subtle breakage in
non-trivial queries. Is there a way to get things back to have things
work as before?

* You made explicit specification of "ASC" be an eefective noop.
Generally this is not a big deal, but some SQL dialects (e.g. the one
implemented by Sphinx) disallow implicit order by criteria. I suspect it
will be extremely easy to make a Role which adds the missing 'asc' back
in, but wanted to double check.

* Same thing goes about explicit 'INNER JOIN' specification - mysql 3
requires it, and we do have some tests for it (which are mysql-bound
though). Same as above I presume?

Cheers