[DBIx-Class-Devel] Re: Comments on the dq branch test suite changes

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 22:05:00 GMT 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 12:31:35AM +1100, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> (cc-ing the dev-list as well)
>
> I am not yet through the tests you asked me to write, but there are
> several things I noticed when examining the suite changes:
> `git fetch && git diff origin/master...origin/dq --color t`
>
> * t/sqlmaker/limit_dialects/custom.t seems to be gone entirely. If you
> are not planning to implement it, we need to have several releases of
> DBIC with the existing code throwing "imminent deprecation" warnings.
> Please let me know your intention so we can implement these warnings
> asap

Don't remember; is it likely even implementable anymore?

> * The current code has forever been inferring the 'AS' part from the
> dbic-side 'as' specification. You made a number of test changes where a
> columns => { foo => 'bar.baz' } no longer works, but must be replaced
> with columns => { foo => { '' => 'bar.baz', -as => 'foo' } }. This is an
> incompatible change and will cause a lot of subtle breakage in
> non-trivial queries. Is there a way to get things back to have things
> work as before?

When I last asked you about this, you said you'd just been lazy in the
tests and to go ahead and change it.

What's changed since?

> * You made explicit specification of "ASC" be an eefective noop.
> Generally this is not a big deal, but some SQL dialects (e.g. the one
> implemented by Sphinx) disallow implicit order by criteria. I suspect it
> will be extremely easy to make a Role which adds the missing 'asc' back
> in, but wanted to double check.

Right, that belongs in dialect handling.

> * Same thing goes about explicit 'INNER JOIN' specification - mysql 3
> requires it, and we do have some tests for it (which are mysql-bound
> though). Same as above I presume?

Yep. My next push will include a working MSACCESS renderer that shows how
to do this.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/

Email me now on mst (at) shadowcat.co.uk and let's chat about how our Catalyst