[DBIx-Class-Devel] Re: Comments on the dq branch test suite changes

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Sat Dec 8 08:51:05 GMT 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 10:05:00PM +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 12:31:35AM +1100, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> > (cc-ing the dev-list as well)
> >
> > I am not yet through the tests you asked me to write, but there are
> > several things I noticed when examining the suite changes:
> > `git fetch && git diff origin/master...origin/dq --color t`
> >
> > * t/sqlmaker/limit_dialects/custom.t seems to be gone entirely. If you
> > are not planning to implement it, we need to have several releases of
> > DBIC with the existing code throwing "imminent deprecation" warnings.
> > Please let me know your intention so we can implement these warnings
> > asap
>
> Don't remember; is it likely even implementable anymore?

Very unlikely, so I will just deprecate it.

> > * The current code has forever been inferring the 'AS' part from the
> > dbic-side 'as' specification. You made a number of test changes where a
> > columns => { foo => 'bar.baz' } no longer works, but must be replaced
> > with columns => { foo => { '' => 'bar.baz', -as => 'foo' } }. This is an
> > incompatible change and will cause a lot of subtle breakage in
> > non-trivial queries. Is there a way to get things back to have things
> > work as before?
>
> When I last asked you about this, you said you'd just been lazy in the
> tests and to go ahead and change it.
>
> What's changed since?

>.< What we had there is a failure to communicate I suppose. The decision
to reuse the dbic-side "as" in hindsight was lazy, but it has been there
for good 3 years now. I would not have said "meh, throw, people will fix
their code". If this is the way you want to go forward - again we need to
deprecate ASAP... but really this is a *lot* of code. I rather help you
implement (as in bug you to implement ;) the 'as' passage.