[DBIx-Class-Devel] Re: [dbix-class] Documentation update and cleanup (#33)

Peter Rabbitson notifications at github.com
Thu Sep 5 06:41:15 GMT 2013

Sorry to disappoint, but this pull request is a no-go. `year` is used in the new "Example" document https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/blob/master/lib/DBIx/Class/Manual/QuickStart.pod . In fact it was raised on IRC whether we need *two* versions of a similar document, to which the original author said "meh" ;)
```
<ribasushi> daxim: food for thought - this seems like 90% of what you wrote (i.e. lots of doc-repetition) https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/blob/master/lib/DBIx/Class/Manual/Example.pod
<ribasushi> which *is* also just a hands-on practical tutorial
<ribasushi> and shows verbatim the scripts from examples/Schema
<ribasushi> daxim: did you ever considered we now have two quickstarts in a sense? any plan?
<daxim> IMO that pod is fine except for writing the schema manually
<daxim> merge if two pods are too many
<ribasushi> daxim: so it does not strike you as detrimental having 2 documents pertaining to the same thing?
<ribasushi> daxim: I am asking - I long lost the necessary pov to make such a judgement
<daxim> not much detriment
<ribasushi> daxim: aight then, keeping them as is for the time being
```

Perhaps a fix for this is more worthwhile if you think otherwise (two pods is confusing). Especially since it seems you *did* get confused as you removed year without consulting neither the Manuals nor the contents of examples/...

On the removal of the ResultSet class - I am on the fense. The fact that it isn't used now, doesn't mean it is not a good idea to create them *anyway*. In fact I was going to augment the example with base result/resultset clases since this is something that comes in handy 95% of the time, but usually there is too much code to change to make it work properly at the point you need them :(

In any case - closing this pull request without merging for the time being, as a large portion of it needs to be completely changed.

---
https://github.com/dbsrgits/dbix-class/pull/33#issuecomment-23846704