[Dbix-class] retrieve_from_sql

Emanuele Zeppieri ema_zep at libero.it
Thu Aug 4 17:48:53 CEST 2005

Syntactically-wise, SQL::Abstract can handle such cases, since it does
not perform any syntactic check on the field names, so (once fixed the
missing FROM clause) your query becomes:

my @fields = ( 'function1(field)', 'function2(field)' );
my %where = (
	'function3(field)' => 'NULL',
);
my($stmt, @bind) = $sql->select('t', \@fields, \%where);
print "$stmt\n"; # if you wanna see it

(assuming that your NULL comparison is permitted by the DBMS).

Rather, SQL::Abstract can't handle much simpler cases, such as when two
(or more) fields are involved in the same subexpression, like this:

SELECT f1 FROM t WHERE t.f1 < t.f2

In such cases SQL::Abstract permits (and forces) you to resort to
literal SQL in some parts of the search condition, thus losing some info
on the syntactic structure of the query.

Having said that, Matt clearly said he's developing an extended
Abstract-like syntax, more powerful than SQL::Abstract.

Ciao,
Emanuele.