[Dbix-class] re: create_class.pl script

David Storrs dstorrs at dstorrs.com
Fri Jul 29 16:24:18 CEST 2005

Incidentally, does this list have a 'Reply-To' header set?  When I
tried to 'reply' or 'reply all', it went to Phaylon but not the list.

July 29, 2005 10:14:55 AM EDT, phaylon wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 29.07.2005, 10:03 -0400 schrieb David Storrs:
>
>> http://dbix-class.shadowcatsystems.co.uk/index.cgi?
>> UnimplementedFeatures
>>
>> Seeded it with one new feature I'd like to see (automagical setup
>> script).
>>

> I already thought such a thing would be useful,

Ok, good.  I know I'm morning-stupid right now (can't get the
caffeine to kick in, damnit), so I'm glad this wasn't bogus.

> themselves. Maybe this can be done with an Extension to Loader?

You mean the Loader plugin?  I was deliberately positioning it as a
script...it feels like more of a gain that way.  If it is a plugin,
you can't rely on it working across DBs which means you will need to
give up portability or write the code yourself anyway.  If it is a
script then you (may) lack portability but, when you want to go to a
new platform, you just rerun the script (*) and tell it to target the
results at a new DB.

(*) Obviously, you would need to have a version of the schema
instantiated in a DB that supported discovery, in order for the
script to have something to work from.

> I've also already added an addition to your request. Feel free to wipe
> out if it's b/s ;)

Hey, the whole point of the page was to be a place for discussion of
hoped-for features.  Your point sounds like a good addition to me.

--Dks