[Dbix-class] RFC: DBIx-Class-Tree

Aran Deltac aran at arandeltac.com
Tue Apr 4 20:31:18 CEST 2006

On 4/4/2006, "Matt S Trout" <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
>Dave Howorth wrote:
>> Aran Deltac wrote:
>>> Its in the Ordered component.  Any method that exist in
>>> Tree::AdjacencyList or Ordered components is not shown in
>>> Tree::AdjacencyList::Ordered component.  I've added a section listing
>>> the methods that are made available via these other two components.  You
>>> would still need to read the related component's POD for detailed docs
>>> on the methods.
>>
>> I appreciate this dilemma. As the reader in this instance, I can just
>> point out that this policy makes it more difficult to use the module. If
>> I were the maintainer, I might well have a different opinion :)
>
>Which brings us back to a regular problem with DBIC's lots-of-components
>nature. I think what we really need is a magic script to assemble to bits of
>POD from other modules into one that uses them in a way that doesn't get in
>the way of the maintainer.

I've just commited a script that uses Class::C3 to pick out the
inheritance order and digs out the methods in the various modules and
creates a nicely formatted POD of inherited methods.  Its in:

http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/branches/DBIx-Class-current/maint/inheritance_pod.pl

I've used it to generate the INHERITED METHODS section in all the
modules in the DBIx-Class-Tree repo (just commited).

>>> A DAG is a bit of a different beast than a Tree, but I'll keep it in
>>> mind.  Sounds like a deffinate possibility.
>>
>> Well, a tree is a special case of a DAG, so an interface that can handle
>> DAGs can handle trees, but not necessarily vice versa.
>
> From a user's point of view a tree is just a DAG constrained to a single
>parent, right?

Sounds right to me.

Aran