[Dbix-class] new to the list: DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader and Access

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 14:12:16 GMT 2006

On 12/5/06, Marc Espie <espie at nerim.net> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi :)

> I know I have some unusual setup, but I'm trying to coerce
> DBIx::Class into generating schemas for some Access databases...
> I'm not even accessing them directly, but rather through DBD::Proxy
> to a windows machine that runs a small server.

I'm assuming that DBD::Proxy is connecting through to DBD::ODBC on the
machine that hosts the Access database.  It is "DBD::ODBC" that will
be important in this case.

Your question can be broken up (assuming I'm right about DBD::ODBC) as:

1) Does DBIx::Class support MSAccess via DBD::ODBC?
  It has some support for ODBC already, but probably needs a new
subclass "DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::ODBC::MSAccess" (or whatever the
MSAccess identifier from ODBC turns out to be, see
DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::ODBC source code for details).  This
subclass would basically need code for getting the values of
recently-inserted autoinc primary keys, and code to work around any
problems we run into that break the assumptions of the underlying
generic DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI.

2) Will DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader work given the above?
  Probably.  It appears that DBD::ODBC supports at least some of the
generic methods that Loader looks for, like "table_info",
"primary_key_info", etc.  If the output is standard enough, it may
just work without any customization.  If not, we'll need to make a
custom subclass for it here as well.

3) Will remote access via DBD::Proxy throw a monkey wrench into any of this?
  No idea, but I wouldn't expect it to.

-- Brandon