[Dbix-class] Issue with sql names

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Dec 8 13:40:00 GMT 2006

On 7 Dec 2006, at 16:58, Marc Espie wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:20:36PM +0100, Robert 'phaylon' Sedlacek
> wrote:
>> Marc Espie wrote:
>>> The requests generated by DBIx::Class do not quote field names by
>>> default.
>>> Is there a way to get them quoted ? Even though this generates
>>> less readable
>>> SQL, this can be useful in some cases...
>>
>> It's even in the documentation:
>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBIx-Class/lib/DBIx/Class/Manual/
>> Cookbook.pod#Setting_quoting_for_the_generated_SQL.
>
> Thanks! next question, is there any way to do that automatically ?
> I come
> from the old DBI, which often knows about the correct quote chars for
> the database... I don't quite understand why this is not automatic ?

Auto-selecting the correct quote chars is implementable.

Automatically turning quoting on isn't something we're going to do,
due to it (a) being a noticeable performance hit to SQL generation,
(b) not being backwards compatible (I've seen a fair number of evil
tricks in production code that would break if we made everything
quote by default, and one of DBIC's appeals is that we live with our
mistakes in that sort of direction rather than pulling the rug out
from under people :)

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for