[Dbix-class] How to Install Catalyst on windows

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 14:41:29 GMT 2006

On 12/11/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> But yeah, getting real work done on windows is a pain. VMWare server
> is free now, you've got no excuse for even trying unless you have to
> use windows in production as well.

Honestly, I've had more problems trying to install Catalyst on some
Linux boxes than on Windows boxes, since it's not as easy to update
your perl on Linux as it is on Windows. Recompiling perl is what I'd
call a pain.

I've seen this "developing under Windows is harder" FUD spread
numerous times around here but it's just FUD, really. Everything
usually just works and you can painlessly use the latest perl version.
On the rare occasions that something doesn't work, it's usually the
module author's fault for not writing properly portable code (and they
will, usually, promptly fix the issues when reported).

>From my experience, I could even argue that under Windows you'll
actually be more productive thanks to some support tools not directly
Catalyst related. One such is example is that you don't really have a
decent integrated Subversion graphical front-end for Linux such as
TortoiseSVN for Windows (KDESvn is excluded by the "decent" part). I
could extend this example for SQL tools where, at least for MySQL, the
best graphical front-end you can get for Linux for free is the one
provided by MySQL itself, which sucks. Finally, unfortunately, as web
developers, you can't live without testing stuff under IE so you'll
either run Windows in a virtual environment or have a Windows box for
testing.

As I've said, it's pretty easy to use Catalyst under Windows, you only
need to have a C compiling environment correctly set up (i.e.
installing Dev-Cpp which comes with gcc or Visual Studio) and then
everything that's portable will work. No reasone for scaring new
Catalyst users.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.