[Dbix-class] Getting old column values when overriding update?

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 17:17:50 GMT 2006

--- Jess Robinson <castaway at desert-island.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, John Napiorkowski wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to move away from triggers for some
> things
> > so that I can write code that has a chance of
> running
> > on more than one database.  However one thing I'm
> > having trouble emulating is how on most database
> with
> > update triggers you can get the old values for the
> > updating row.  Usually it's a syntax like
> OLD.name,
> > etc.  However I don't see a simple way to do that
> when
> > I override the update method in my DBIx::Class
> > packages.  Does anyone know if this something I'll
> > need to burn another query on, or am I just not
> > reading the documentation correctly?
>
> The old values aren't stored when you change them on
> your objects. Instead
> of using a query though, I suggest you override
> store_column and keep
> track of the previous values yourself.
>
> Jess

Thanks, that worked quite well for me.  It's not going
to be easy to push myself away from stored procedures
(I started as a pl/sql developer) but this way makes
it easier on my DBA.  --john

http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/trunk/DBIx-Class/

http://www.mail-archive.com/dbix-class@lists.rawmode.org/