[Dbix-class] table referencing itself

Daniel McBrearty danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 20:09:56 GMT 2006

I have a table that looks like this:

CREATE TABLE whatever (
id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
whatever_id INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES whatever(id),
.
.
.

);

Now when I populate the table for the very first time, the first row
will reference itself. Some other rows will ref themselves, some will
ref other rows.

My question : when I do

my $w = $schema->resultset('Whatever')->create( ... )

I need to basically say

{whatever_id => this.id,
 .... }

but of course it isn't "this" ....

Is there a way to get the id of the object being created in the
statement doing the creation? I don't even know if the db (postgresql)
can do that ... ?

The alternative is to make whatever_id not required, and post-fill it,
but I prefer not as it should always have a value.

Anyone know?

thanks

Daniel

--