[Dbix-class] branch status

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 14:18:34 GMT 2006

--- Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/12/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk>
> wrote:
> > While I remember: can everybody with an active
> branch off -current sing
> > out and tell us
> "columns_info_for"
> > (1) what it's designed for
> Detailed column specs (as much as each database will
> provide).
> Primarily designed for use by form validators - to
> allow automatic
> length / datatype constraints based on the column
> type.
> > (2) where it's up to
> mysql support.
> enum handling needs changed to how sqlfairy does it.
> > (3) when you expect it to be ready for audit
> before merge to -current
> Need to find time to learn how dbix-class does tests
> - and write some.
> Would be good to also add support for at least
> SQL::Lite, to see if
> chosen column attribute names make sense outside of
> mysql.

Seems like some of this could overlap with my needs,
since I created a 'bind_attribute_by_data_type' method
in package 'DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI' where I let a
storage driver provide the required binding attributes
for a particular column type.  Right now I just have
some dumb mapping for the Pg driver.  Basically what
this method does is take a look at the data_type
attribute out of col_info and returns the correct
hashref that DBI->bind_param wants.

How is you new 'columns_info_for' method accessed?
Right now my code rewrites the insert and update
methods to pass the entire result source so that I can
do: $source->column_info($column)->{data_type} and get
something meaningful I can map to.

Is part of what you are trying to do potentially able
to return the bind constant?  I know that Oracle has
that information in it's tables somewhere.  I'll see
if Postgresql does as well.