[Dbix-class] DBIx::Class or Rose::DB::Object or other???

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 23:09:36 CEST 2006

On 6/6/06, Guillermo Roditi <groditi at gmail.com> wrote:
> RDBO is kind of amazing, and it's loader application will save you tons of
> time, DBIx::Class also has a handy loader, but it's not yet as advanced as
> RDBO's. From what I have personally gathered though, the result set object
> in DBIC kicks ass like nothing else

Most DBIx::Class users are pretty anti-loader (not that its an excuse,
but its a reason).  I'm authoring the latest iteration of it and even
I don't use it anymore for real apps.

In any case, the big difference I see between the RDBO Metadata::Auto
stuff and DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader is the layering abilities of
RDBO (that is, the ability to easily manually define certain peices of
metadata and then fill in the rest via autoloading).  If there's other
major items and people really want to see DBIC's loader doing them,
send a patch, or at least a strong suggestion.

As the RDBO docs say though, probably the best hybrid approach is to
let a loader do code generation initially and then maintain manually
from there out.  The DBIC loader just acquired this functionality, so
it's still a bit rough around the edges, but it does appear to work at
the moment :)  Hopefully soon we'll be able to integrate this one-shot
code generation with the dbicadmin commandline tool to make it even
easier.

-- Brandon