[Dbix-class] Oracle Auto-PK no longer works after upgrade to 0.05xxx and conversion to Schema

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 21:52:03 CET 2006

On 3/8/06, James FitzGibbon <jfitzgibbon at primustel.ca> wrote:
> I can't find any reference to this on the PK::Auto page.  In fact, the
> documentation seems to point the other way:
>
> "load the appropriate one for your database, e.g. PK::Auto::SQLite, in your
> table classes"
>
> "for example, if you have different databases and need to determine the
> appropriate PK::Auto class at runtime"

In the stable releases on CPAN that is still true (0.0500x).  There is
a seperate branch of new development called "DBIx-Class-current" which
has a number of improvements, but which hasn't stabilized enough for
an official release.  One of those improvements is that you just use
the component "PK::Auto", and the database-specific part is worked out
for you by DBIx::Class internally, based on the storage subclass,
which is in turn based on the DBI driver in your dsn string.

> unixbeard wrote Class::DBI::BaseDSN, which tried to do this, but I'm not
> sure if it's technique would be compatible with C3.  It inspected the DSN,
> took the DBD out, loaded Class::DBI::$DSN and then re-wrote @ISA to replace
> Class::DBI::BaseDSN with Class::DBI::$DSN.
>
> If this works in C3, it would require calling Class::C3::reinitialize.  I
> think it's this manipulation of @ISA at runtime that is screwing me up.  I
> did a test with my problematic code, having SPE::DBIx::Class load the
> PK::Auto::Oracle component at compile time and commenting out my load a
> runtime bits.  Now, the correct insert method is called.
>
> I just realized that I'm still using C3 0.09, so I'm going to upgrade to
> 0.11 and see if that fixes things.

IIRC, 0.05007 requires C3 0.11, so this may be your immediate problem.
 It can't hurt in any case.

-- Brandon