[Dbix-class] RFC: list/array context, TT and search()

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Mar 20 19:02:35 CET 2006

Richard Jolly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> DBIx::Class::AlwaysRS was on my list of things to get around to looking
> at. Now it seems to be only available on backpan, though it is still
> mentioned in the POD of ResultSetManager and Schema::Loader. Searches of
> the catalyst and dbic mailing lists didn't provide much help.
>
> As I understood it, it was to aid in the interaction between TT and
> DBIx::Class, specifically that TT sometimes provided list context to
> resultsets when you really didn't want it.
>
> Can someone fill me in more precisely on what the problem was that
> AlwaysRS was solving? And why it has been removed from CPAN?

TT always calls in list context.

It's been removed because it was class-level and as such didn't work with the
resultset model. We've been discussing a better approach - like potentially
adding a query/query_related/etc. method that doesn't do the DWIMery based on
wantarray, but aren't entirely sure what's best.

Ideas/comments/suggestions welcome - and that goes for everybody else.
Gentlemen, start your mail clients :)