[Dbix-class] ENUM values from MySQL using the column_info()

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon May 15 16:12:33 CEST 2006

Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
> On 5/15/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
>> The point of the case-sensitive match is that *if* there are e.g.
>> columns 'name' and 'NAME', and *if* the DBD returns separate column info
>> for 'name' and 'NAME', the two column info chunks get matched to their
>> appropriate columns correctly. Simple as that.
>
> Hmm I've started this thread with this exact example and you seemed to agree to:
>
>> IMO it would be sane if the code retrieving the columns acted case
>> insensitivly, and maybe threw an error if it came across two fields that
>> are both the same when case is ignored.

No, I've never agreed to that.

> Does that mean you changed your mind?  I would rather code it case-insensitive.

Tough. Case sensitivity has to work if the DBD supports it, with a
case-insensitive match as fallback. If you want to write a
case-insensitive-only version of the patch and find somebody else to
bring it up to production quality for inclusion in DBIC, feel free.

Just because it's probably not required 99% of the time doesn't mean
DBIx::Class shouldn't support it anyway. This has been the project
philosophy from the start, and one of the primary reasons DBIx::Class is
proving widely useful in circumstances where stuff like Class::DBI
simply can't cope.