[Dbix-class] ENUM values from MySQL using the column_info()

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon May 15 17:15:28 CEST 2006

Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> I find your discussion habits a bit frustrating.  First you write:
>
> On 5/12/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
>> Jess Robinson wrote:
>>> Ahh I see.. sorry, was a bit confused..
>>>
>>> IMO it would be sane if the code retrieving the columns acted case
>>> insensitivly, and maybe threw an error if it came across two fields that
>>> are both the same when case is ignored.
>> Which is what I actually proposed at the time.
>
> But than you deny that you agreed to the proposed solution:
>
> On 5/15/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
>>> Hmm I've started this thread with this exact example and you seemed to agree to:

>> No, I've never agreed to that.

I mis-explained the first time, sorry.

> And since you push the 'case sensitive first' option please take into
> account that the example I posted in this thread demonstrates that the
> core DBIC functions don't work this way.

No it didn't. Jess explained that that was a postgres issue and nothing
to do with the DBIC core. If you still believe parts of the DBIC core
don't support case sensitivity, failing test cases would be welcome.

However, potential other bugs in DBIC wrt case sensitivity do not mean
that I'm going to commit code that's buggy by design.

Case sensitive first, falling back to insensitive if there's no match.
It's about two lines of extra code over just being case-insensitive, I
don't see why this is such a big problem.